Monday, May 13, 2013

Pastor Jacob Birch and his Lanny MacDonald Story

My father worked in sales for Canadian Fram, the maker of those orange oil filters on sale at most 10 minute lube places by the shelf-full, when i was about 6 or 7 years old.
As a salesman he received tickets to a Leafs vs Wings game in Detroit's Olympia Arena. They were right beside the visitor's (the Leafs) bench. In fact they were folding seats. The players and the play was so close that my mother brought a towel and every time the play came near to the bench she would lift the towel up "protecting" me from the puck and the sticks but obscuring my view.
The Leafs and Wings were tied 2-2 late in the 3rd period.
The door to the bench swung open and onto the bench came a giant with a blue Winn Well helmet, red curls flowing out from under it and a giant red handlebar moustache.
Through the drizzle and sweat stained rodent that had died on his lip, Lanny MacDonald stepped around the goalie opening the door and held out his stick to me and said, "Kid, slap my stick."
I looked up at my mom... she hadn't covered my face with the towel...
I looked back at Mr. MacDonald who again insisted "Kid, slap my stick"
So i reached up and gingerly touched the ice damp end of his twig and he proceeded to all of the other players touch, spit and rub the lumber with various parts of their body.
And... wouldn't you know it...
Lanny MacDonald went out and scored the winning goal!
Leafs over the Wings 3-2

My hope is something of Lanny's luck will rub off on the buds tonight. Go Leafs Go! Leafs 3 - Bruins 1


No comments:

Post a Comment