Monday, August 26, 2013

Pastor Jacob Birch and his father's 65th birthday

Today is my father's 65th birthday.



Larry Birch is a Christ-follower who has been married to my mother Barbara Ann Sanford for 43 years.

Larry is from Cottam, ON. He is a graduate of Essex High School and played Jr. C. hockey for the Cottam Clippers.

In 1971 he completed his Honours Bachelor of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering from Queens University.

My dad has had a long and storied career in manufacturing of many types in Eastern North America. He is currently the General Manager of Valmont Newmark's Hazleton, PA division.

I mean i could go on and on about my father. When i think of my dad i think of many lessons and laughs and tears that we have shared over our lives. I suppose i think most however of 2 items.





The first is the last stanza of Rudyard Kipling's poem If:

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
And walk with kings nor lose the common touch;
If neither loving friends nor foes can hurt you,
If all men count with you but none too much
If you can fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Then yours is the earth and all that's in it
And what is more: You will be a man my son.

This whole poem speaks to me in the voice of my father. But in particular this last stanza... about not getting to high on yourself and making sure to make the most of every moment of every day.

The second is the verse from Matthew 10:25... "It is enough for students to be like their teachers, and servants like their masters." My dad has been my greatest teacher and what an honour it would be to simple be like him.

Thanks Dad.

Here is a video my girls made for their grandpa...

No comments:

Post a Comment