Thursday, January 2, 2014

What is "The Gospel"?

What is the "good news" that Jesus came proclaiming, showing, defending and dying for?

I have grown increasingly - over the last 15 years - uneasy with the composition of "the good news" that i have learned and promoted myself that solely concerns me, God and our relationship. I clear presentation of this understanding of the gospel in contained in this blog post from Ligonier Ministries R.C. Sproul.

Why i am uncomfortable with that presentation of the "good news"?



I think Dr. Sproul's definition of the gospel is a necessary but not sufficient presentation of what Jesus said was the "good news" he was bringing.

What do i mean by necessary but not sufficient? Saying that the "good news" Jesus announced, taught and died for is that God has made a way for me to have a relationship with Him is part of the answer to what is the gospel but it is not complete enough to be judged faithful to what Jesus taught.

What is the gospel then? Check back to this space over the next few days as I hope to make what i think Jesus taught about the gospel clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment