Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Cycling is for Lazy People

James Schwartz a Toronto lawyer and cyclist wrote a very funny and informative blog recently entitled Cycling is for Lazy People. Great stuff.

My favourite paragraph is:

I sold the last car I owned in 2010 and bought a couple solid bicycles because I was too lazy to maintain the car*. I was too lazy to renew my license plates each year, too lazy to fill up the gas tank, too lazy to shop around for insurance rates, and too lazy to take it to the car wash.






As someone who cycles 12 months a year to work (for health and economic reasons) I wanted to add a few of my own "points" to this as well.

I cycle to work because I am too lazy to go out and buy all the things vehicle-based commercial radios promotes to me. I would rather listen to my mostly commercial free podcasts as i commute.

I am too lazy to go to the beach to work on my tan: pack a towel, flip flops, sun screen, umbrella, lunch, bathing suit, sunglasses... after a particularly long ride this Saturday i was nice and bronzed without having to get a single grain of sand in a place i wouldn't want it. 

As someone in the "people" business i cycle to work because i am too lazy to answer the phone. The 20-25 minutes it takes to commute gives me more than enough reason NOT to answer the texts, calls and emails that are constantly coming my way. Yes i am too lazy to engage in social media 40-50 minutes a day thanks to cycling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment