Thursday, July 11, 2013

Pastor Jacob Birch and a Prayer for The Overwhelmed

You in overwhelm right now? Try reading, reciting, memorizing and praying  Psalm 13. With all due respect but just being honest David was a bit of a "drama-queen". His highs were very high. His lows were very low as evidenced here in Psalm 13... "Will you forget me forever?". Isn't that way we feel some times? Seeing our enemies as perpetually victorious (vs 2)... seeing our only option as victory or death (vs 3)... thinking that everyone is talking about you and rejoicing over your struggles (vs 4). That's what happens to our minds and emotions when life has us down or the Lord's hand is upon us in chastening judgement.

Yet it was Andrew Murray who wrote "Grace never asks what it does not give, so the Father never asks what we cannot do." (119, The Secret of God's Presence).

And so even in our "drama queen" moments what would David have us remember? What he remembers... that our responsibility is to "trust in His unfailing love". Why? Because time and again in situations just like these that have us so wound up "God has been good to me" before and we know He will be good to us again. Amen?

How long,(A) Lord? Will you forget me(B) forever?
    How long will you hide your face(C) from me?
How long must I wrestle with my thoughts(D)
    and day after day have sorrow in my heart?
    How long will my enemy triumph over me?(E)
Look on me(F) and answer,(G) Lord my God.
    Give light to my eyes,(H) or I will sleep in death,(I)
and my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,(J)
    and my foes will rejoice when I fall.(K)
But I trust in your unfailing love;(L)
    my heart rejoices in your salvation.(M)
I will sing(N) the Lord’s praise,
    for he has been good to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment